The past few years have been significant for USA-ITA and our mission of being the voice of our members in Washington, D.C. In 2010, we moved our headquarters from New York to Washington, D.C., to be closer to the policymakers who affect our industry. In 2011, we began utilizing our position in the heart of the action to inform those policymakers about the importance of continuing to remove barriers to business and trade. And, in 2012, we built upon past policy advocacy successes to see meaningful change for our industry and members.
As you’ll see in our 2012 Annual Report, highlights from the past year include:
- Strengthening relationships with the key policymakers in our industry, including those at the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, the U.S. Department of Commerce, and U.S. Customs & Border Protection, and creating opportunities for our members to have in-depth discussions with these policymakers.
- Taking a lead role in advocacy efforts on the issues most important to our members, including the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations, Free Trade Agreements, labor rights and fire safety training in Bangladesh, and promoting the value of imports, to name a few.
- Participating in global industry events, from our own events in New York and San Francisco, to SOURCING at MAGIC in Las Vegas, to forums throughout the world.
- Providing timely, expert news and analysis through our communications, including via our new mobile app and our first-ever Election Update.
- Participating in significant outreach to international governments, industry organizations, and manufacturers to ensure that our trading partners’ policies work for our members, too.
- Working with our members to ensure satisfaction in the association and our benefits.